Sunday, August 26, 2007

Brilliant answer from Lauren Caitlin Upton, Miss South Carolina Teen USA [video]

Your Ad Here

A classic answer from Lauren Caitlin Upton, Miss South Carolina Teen USA 2007, on why only 20 percent of Americans can identify the United States on a world map. Check it out!!!


Update :

The 18-year-old got a chance to redeem herself Tuesday, Aug. 28, 2007, on NBC's 'Today' show when she was asked about the same question again...
"I would love to re-answer that question," Upton said. "Well personally, my friends and I, we know exactly where the United States is on our map. I don't know anyone else who doesn't. And if the statistics are correct, I believe there should be more emphasis on geography."

"Everything did come at me at once. I was overwhelmed and I made a mistake. Everybody makes a mistake. I'm human," she said Tuesday. "I seriously think I only heard about one or two words of the actual question." [From Yahoo]




Related Posts with Thumbnails

2 comments:

blackbelt_jones said...

You know, the more I watch this, the more sympathetic I become to this poor girl., and the more I think she did a great job.

You'e a sixteen year old girl, called upon by a seventeen year old actress (who is trying to sound smarter than she is) to explain a great social evil off the top of your head, but you can't say anything controversial. If you ask this question of a candidate in a presidential debate, he or she knows what to do... blame the other party. But a beauty pageant conestestant knows that her job is to not offend anyone. You can't blame liberals, conservatives, teachers, capitalism, television, or the fact that Americans are idiots. What do you do?

What CAN you do? It's the beauty pageant equivalent of the Kobyashi Maru. (star trek reference) You have to take the hit. You point your supple young breasts at the camera, and you speak pure gibberish. And then you smile at the end.

You have to admire her poise. She never loses her cool. I think she sould have won.

C_b said...

I agree with You.... ;)

Search This Blog